People from Community Healthcare West, Saolta Healthcare Group and Community Healthcare Cavan Donegal Leitrim Sligo Monaghan came together in January to form Communities of Practice, as a vehicle for integrated change and RHA formation through the experiential change programme ‘Delivering Change Together’.
The programme is co-sponsored by the Chief Officers for the three areas Breda Crehan-Roche, Tony Canavan and Dermot Monaghan, the PMO teams and the National Organisation Development Change & Innovation team. In addition, there are partners from Nursing and Midwifery Development Units in the West and North West, National Quality Patient Safety and National HR Culture and Capability.
The HSE says this is a real demonstration of integration of support and development services collaborating to deliver for local teams navigating complex change and achieve our common shared purpose.
Convener, Helen Bevan of NHS Horizons gave a masterclass on large scale change with some of the standout messages of enablers being:
- Relationships and networks are key.
- Complex change is emergent and a plan can assist but agility to adapt as needs arise should be embedded.
- Lots of small acts of good change are what add up to large scale change happening and ensuring its sustainability… “trojan mice.”
- Having a theory of change to guide an organisation is important and the Health Services Change Guide is in place for the HSE.
- Work with ‘Old Power and New Power’ environments.
- Leading change is everyone’s responsibility.
- Do it with each other as colleagues and the people who use the services.
- Harness the collective wisdom that exists in the organisation.